I have always enjoyed taking a more experimental approach to graphic design and enjoy working in non-traditional mediums. I am passionate about developing as a designer and as such often attempt new techniques and methods in my work. I've greatly enjoyed working with mathematical concepts like chance in my Dice and Hastings pieces, finding the work of John Cage (though a musician) incredibly inspirational. Mark Making also explores chance, using randomly marked rollers and looking for images in the outcomes.
Typography is another field that excites me and I've used it as the sole basis for a number of pieces, again subverting traditional methods by using underwear in my Not My Type (a Birmingham based exhibition also including work by Jon Burgerman) work, chocolate or entirely hand-drawing fonts taken from existing sources for a New-Orleans-inspired Soul Food poster. Typography is also at the heart of the bottle drawing I've included here too, I enjoy conversion from printed to hand drawn type and allowing myself to make mistakes. I see drawing as a fundamental tool, often overlooked by graphics students but invaluable in maintaining a creative outlook.
I love documentary photography and record things of interest on a regular basis, faded glamour and abandoned industry being particular fascinations.
With my posters, I have worked to briefs with very tight timeframes, understanding the importance of solid branding and put a great deal of research into each of the themes I choose. My SpaceFace posters have proved a catalyst to start exploring space and physics in more depth.
I feel reasonably proficient with Photoshop, Illustrator etc. but see this only as another tool, the most enjoyable part of this course for me would be to have the time, facilities and mentorship to expand, develop and add more weight to my ideas.